Skip to main content

My Thoughts on Wedding Week

It's difficult to put this last week into words. At least without grossly overusing adjectives like "beautiful", "wonderful", "awesome", "rockstar", etc.  But I will try. Here goes.


We flew into Fresno on Sunday, did our shopping, visited with family, and settled into our cabin by Monday afternoon.  That evening (September 5th) we celebrated Mom and Dad's 30th anniversary with friends and food. Good times were had by all!  Tuesday we spent at Yosemite (see previous posts).


Wednesday was the official start of "wedding week", complete with projects and crisis! Mom, Jenna, Aunt Suzanne, Brooklyn and I went into Oakhurst to get our nails done. Now I don't enjoy getting my hair or nails done unless I have a friend or relative to talk to. So who did they leave alone in the salon to make small talk with the mountain people while they went to Sky Ranch to check on details? ME!! To be fair, it was the good folks at Sierra Sky Ranch who were freaking out about the reception plans, so it's not like I missed a lot of fun. But still, it was not my favorite part of the week. Also getting gels HURTS!!


The various projects were fun and came together very nicely.  Jenna's wedding was very "do it yourself" and a great reflection of Jenna and Brett's personalities.


By Friday all the bridesmaids were present and accounted for! We gathered for pancakes, mimosas, and an official planning meeting wherein we combed through the details and divied up the jobs so Jenna could stop thinking about them. I said it many times over the weekend and will say it again now: Jenna's bridesmaids are rock-stars!! They took care of everything the way Jenna wanted it. They thought of things we hadn't thought of. They loved and encouraged Jenna so she felt as celebrated as a bride should. And they are the kind of friends that will support Jenna and Brett throughout their marriage.  They are the community that will help strengthen the new Ostrander's commitment and build them up in Christ. 


So Friday evening we had the rehearsal. I think we threw poor Norma (the church wedding coordinator) for a loop! Not only did Jenna have specific ideas about what she wanted all neatly typed out (and not all of them were traditional either!) she also had several dominant, vocal bridesmaids making sure things happened exactly the way she wanted them!  As far as rehearsals go, it was very smooth. We also now hold the record for the largest wedding party at LCITP (14 attendants plus 2 flower girls!) (Little Church in the Pines). 


Rehearsal dinner was in Oakhurst at Sweetwater Steakhouse. It was lovely. The food was fine and I found a wine I don't mind drinking! My favorite part was when Jenna and Brett read letters they had written to their future in laws. Very sweet, and further proof that this is a couple with their hearts in the right place. 


Ray and I left after dinner to put the kids to bed, which I desperately needed! So many people and activities and being so close to the center of it -- I was drained! I took full advantage of my "momminess" and spent a few quiet hours with my husband and kids doing the completely normal bedtime routine. Meanwhile, back at the restaurant, all of the out of town guests (which was pretty much everyone!) joined the wedding party for an after party! It was a brilliant idea of Jenna's to give them more time to see all the people they had invited to celebrate with them. I'm told it was a good time ;0) 


The bridesmaids brought Jenna back to the cabin promptly at 9:00pm where I had a pineapple (yellow) and blueberry (navy) dump cake (aka: sex on a spoon) waiting for the bachelorette party. We changed into our pjs, ate our dessert (including a super delicious chocolate concoction by bridesmaid Chanell and ice cream to tie it all together) and created a "dessert menu" of Jenna's lingerie for Jenna to present to Brett on their honeymoon. At 10 pm we gave Jenna 1/2 a bendryl and at 11 we put her to bed. 


At 11:30, when I was in bed, I thought "Crap! I haven't written my speech yet!" but somehow I knew it would get done.  Before we knew it, the big day had come...9...10...11!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9

In Which I Am Inspired

Two things really stand out to me at the end of this jam packed weekend.  First, my mom came into town to watch my kiddos while I attended a two day homeschool convention.  That act alone is not what inspires me, though I am so grateful for her willingness to help when I need her!  In the days leading up to the convention, she took us to the park to walk. We walked and rode bikes around Stoner and Overlook parks every day, sometimes twice! (we are all exhausted!)  When it comes to exercise, I have a million and one reasons not to do it. But walking around with my mom this last week I realized that it doesn't have to be complicated. I don't have to make any big commitments, or walk the track in a certain time frame, or wait for perfect weather conditions.  I just need to get out and move.  I DO need to remember to bring a first aid kit and to SHUT the doors of my car...but that's another set of issues all together. The second thing that inspired me was something I heard