Skip to main content

In Which Brooklyn Teaches Me a Lesson

Brooklyn didn't care for the dinner we had last night. I don't really blame her. It wasn't the best tasting meal, and I'm trying this new thing where she has to at least try (which means take three good bites) to eat the food the rest of us are eating. We had herb roasted chicken breast, brussel sprouts, and buttered noodles (I always try to make sure there is one thing she likes).  I will admit, it wasn't great. The chicken was pretty dry, and the noodles were even too firm for my liking, but regardless, it was dinner. Anyway, she didn't like it. As the meal wore on, she grew more and more despondent, eventually asking if she could be excused. 


She went up to her room to "do nothing", but since that is not dramatic enough for her, she came back down to mope in front of us while we finished eating. She told us (in her saddest, most pathetic voice) that she had a bad day, making up some ridiculous line about not wanting to run on the playground. As her mother I can tell you with certainty she was just upset about dinner.


Later we played Uno Roboto, which was really fun, until Brooklyn lost and the mope came out again. As she got ready for her bath, big tears in her eyes, sadness in her voice, I took her by the shoulders and said, "Brooklyn, you had a good day! You didn't like dinner and you lost the game, but you had a good day!" I recounted all the good things we had enjoyed together and reminded her of the joy she had felt earlier. I made her repeat after me, "I had a good day!" with conviction, and by the time we finished our bedtime routine, I think she realized that life was not the disaster she had been thinking it was. 


That night, I went for an hour of prayer at church. I sat at one of the prayer stations, a big white board that people were filling with prayers and praises. As I prayed for them and thought about what I would write, I was knocked on the head by how I am exactly like Brooklyn when I stand before my Heavenly Father. I mope and pout over little disillusionments in my life, completely neglecting the fact that I have a good life. 


I have a good life. I have a good life! I HAVE A GOOD LIFE!! 


I praise the Lord for He has show us mercy and blessed us beyond what we deserve.  I pray that He will continue working in us, completing His good purpose, that we may be worthy stewards of the blessing He provides. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

In Which I Am Inspired

Two things really stand out to me at the end of this jam packed weekend.  First, my mom came into town to watch my kiddos while I attended a two day homeschool convention.  That act alone is not what inspires me, though I am so grateful for her willingness to help when I need her!  In the days leading up to the convention, she took us to the park to walk. We walked and rode bikes around Stoner and Overlook parks every day, sometimes twice! (we are all exhausted!)  When it comes to exercise, I have a million and one reasons not to do it. But walking around with my mom this last week I realized that it doesn't have to be complicated. I don't have to make any big commitments, or walk the track in a certain time frame, or wait for perfect weather conditions.  I just need to get out and move.  I DO need to remember to bring a first aid kit and to SHUT the doors of my car...but that's another set of issues all together. The second thing that inspired me was something I heard