Skip to main content

In Which Grayson is One Month Older

I cannot believe he is already one month old!  Weighing in at 8.8 lbs and 20.5 inches, he is a healthy, happy little Hilton! He is starting to look more chunky and baby like (as opposed to that newborn look where they are so tiny and fragile looking!) He's a good eater, and a fairly content child.  He recognizes our voices and lights up when he hears or sees Brooklyn. This morning he had a sweetly spontaneous smile just for her! I get smiles too sometimes, even if I am only half awake to see them! It's so funny.  It doesn't matter if I've been holding him for hours on end and I'm exhausted and ache; when I put him down or in someone else's arms, it only takes a few minutes for me to "miss" him and want him back.  Of course, I don't act on this selfishness. There is plenty of Grayson love to go around! :0)


Brooklyn seems to have adjusted well.  She adores her baby brother and is a very willing helper to her tired mommy. She does have a tendency to get a little over excited, so we told her to remember that Grayson is surrounded by Jello. When she starts to get close to him, she gets stuck in the Jello and has to slow down before she can touch him. It's been pretty effective.  Poor kid has so much to remember these days! It's hard to know for sure if some of her more disappointing behavior is acting out because of the new baby, or if she would have been this way regardless. No way to know, I suppose. We've been going through Grace Based Parenting with our community group, which has been great for reminding me to be active in parenting her and not treat her like an afterthought. We took her to see Peter Pan at the 360 Theatre the other day (so much fun!). It was a special time for just the three of us. Then on Sunday she had special one on one time with Nana and Bob Bob while Mommy, Daddy, and Grayson ran errands. I hope we can always make each child a priority. 


For my part, I am also doing well. The pain is mostly gone and I'm starting to wear some pre-pregnancy clothes again. It probably helps that my clothes are so big :0(  I did fall victim to some baby blues, mostly brought on (I think) by poor self image and anxiety about going back to work. But God has been so faithful. When Brooklyn was born, I remember it being a time of spiritual awakening. I had been in such a dry, lonely place when God brought the three of us to Cumberland, where we found love, grace, and healing. Now, four and half years later we have a new family member and I am abundantly blessed to be an active part of a community with service opportunities, fellowship, and great teaching.  But I am still struggling with some stress eating/drinking.  I gained a lot of weight after Brooklyn was born, and I do not want to do that again. I'm going on medifast (a modified version for nursing mothers) next month and working on the mental and spiritual side of my addiction as well. Ray is also going on medifast, so we will be able to support each other and hopefully make this a lifestyle change instead of a diet. 


I still cannot believe it has been a month.  I'm definitely not looking forward to returning to work. It was a toxic atmosphere before I left, and I don't imagine things have improved much. But I am looking forward to what God is going to do with us this year. I have a sense of anticipation that He is moving in some very powerful way. 

Comments

  1. Yay! We're so glad he's here (already a month old?!) and feel very blessed to be sharing this special time with your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9

29 Reasons Why I Love James Raymond Hilton on this...the day of his birth!

1. He makes me laugh. 2. He lets me cry. 3. If it's important to me, it's important to him. 4. He put aside his professional aspirations to provide for our family. 5. He is Brooklyn's daddy. 6. He is Grayson's daddy. 7. He is humble. 8. He has a beautiful voice. 9. He uses his beautiful voice to glorify the Lord. 10. He got hooked on Brothers and Sisters and Psych while I was on bed rest, and let me talk about them like they were important events of my day. 11. His love of music, film, and television has broadend my horizons. 12. He dreams with me. 13. He trusts and supports my decisions. 14. He has a great eye for design (he's ARTISTIC...not that other thing!!) 15. He respects and loves my family. 16. He loves his family. 17. He has beautiful eyes!! 18. He knows everything!! (We would be millionaires by now if we could just play Million Dollar Money Drop!) 19. His enthusiasm and loyalty for the Packers has infected Brooklyn and I. 20. His hair wi