Skip to main content

In Which I Collect My Thoughts...The First Week

Today is Sunday, March 13, 2011. Grayson is 8 days old. As I attempt to write a day by day account of our first week together, I am shocked by how much of it is a blur!! Details seem to have escaped me and days have almost run completely together. But here is an account of what I do remember. I'm pretty sure I've got all the really important stuff.

Saturday March 5, 2011
10am - We finished up in recovery and were wheeled to our suite. I say suite, because that's sort of what it was. It was a huge private room, with big windows and a bench for Daddy to sleep on. He said it felt a lot like one of those mats that kindergartners sleep on. So not the most comfortable, but better than what it could have been! My legs were still completely numb from the spinal block, which just felt weird.  The rest of this day is a little bit of a blur. Probably from the medication and complete lack of sleep. I remember there were lots of pictures and phone calls and check ups from doctors and nurses. I also remember that I wanted Grayson in my arms as much as possible. Nursing was, for lack of a better word, easy. It came pretty naturally to both of us (though of course this is my second time around!).

Sunday March 6, 2011 - Tuesday March 8, 2011
We developed a little bit of a routine at the hospital. Daddy was always available to walk Grayson around the room, change diapers, and get me anything that I needed. We were very careful planning when he would leave the room so he could get food or feed Aniya (the cat), so that I wouldn't have to get up out of the bed. Most of the time his leaving coincided with a round of "nurse and nap". I think we got a lot more sleep that way!

On Sunday, Grayson was circumcised (someday he will thank us!). Each day, each hour for that matter, we both healed a little bit more. Grayson's progress came in the form of poop color and feeding reports (how long, how much, which side, etc.) and mine came in the from how efficiently I could get back to being a normal, functioning adult.  I was amazed by how good my first shower felt! We were both doing so well that they told us we could go home on Monday if we wanted to. Later I had reason to wish we had taken them up on this offer, but Daddy and I decided to stay one more night, just for the extra help the nurses provided.

On Monday we had surprise visits from Cindy Franz, Megan Sullivan, and Rob Irving, great friends of ours! They all thought Grayson was beautiful and it was so nice to share some of our joy!

We met with a lactation consultant who said that if everyone was like us, she would be out of a job! Despite Grayson's great nursing capabilities, he did lose about 10% of his birth weight. The nurses were not happy about that and they wanted me to supplement feedings with formula. I was very opposed to this idea. It just seemed to early to be worried, especially since my milk hadn't come in yet and in every other way he was thriving. On Tuesday, they discharged me, but decided they wanted to keep Grayson one more night for observation (hence my wish that we had gone home Monday!). I am a little ashamed to say that I caved in. I agreed to supplement Grayson's good, healthy, natural diet with the nasty formula (SIDE NOTE: If you have chosen to use formula instead of breast milk, I respect your decision and hope this does not offend you. Formula has it's place in the world, it's just not in my baby's belly). He would nurse like normal, but Daddy took a little tube and syringe and stuck it in his mouth so that he was getting a little bit of formula with the colostrum. The nurses weighed him again Tuesday night and found his weight had maintained so they agreed that he could go home in the morning.  Personally, I think that once I decided to supplement, they felt better about it, so it didn't really matter if he gained or lost. It was a frustrating situation, and honestly, part of my motivation in agreeing to supplement was to speed up our release date. I knew beyond a doubt that he would be fine once the milk came in (and yes, I was right!). But even so, we did get another night in the hospital, which helped with the whole healing process.    

Wednesday March 9, 2011
We had a special visit this morning from Nana, Bob Bob, and big sister Brooklyn! They had been in Texas visiting Mamaw, and drove through the night to get home. But since we were still in the hospital, they stopped by to see us first! Brooklyn adores Grayson. She was beside herself! Nana and Bob Bob liked him too :0) and there were lots of tears. After catching up, they went home and we waited around for the doctors to discharge Grayson.  It took forever (I guess they didn't want to see you go either!) but finally, around lunch time, they gave us all the paperwork, we packed up, and headed for home!

Our good friends, the Kishucks, put out balloons to welcome us home. Sadly, when we got there, they were on the ground since we were dealing with major rain. But we got some good pictures and loved the gesture!

For our first afternoon home, we mostly just sat around and slept. Nana and Bob Bob were tired from driving through the night. Mommy and Daddy were tired from so many nights in the hospital. Grayson was tired from being born. Brooklyn was not tired! She was just excited to have everyone home.

Thursday March 10, 2011
Today we had a lot to do. Well, Daddy did anyway! He finished putting up the shelf in the nursery and did lots of errands for mommy, most of which I can't remember as I write this. Grayson and I took it easy. We watched movies with Brooklyn and nursed. Grayson does not like the pacifier. So far we have tried 4 different kinds, all of which have grossly offended him! He does like to nurse and he will accept a finger to suck on, so long as he is not very hungry.

Brooklyn calls him Baby Grayson, Handsome Pie, and Graysie. I like Graysie, and I can see that one sticking.

He looks very much like a Hilton.  I see a lot of Ray in him, and interestingly enough, a lot of Uncle Ryan. But there are some definite England characteristics too. Like my nose. And the "England mark", which is just a red mark that England's get on their forehead after birth. It will fade. And some of his expressions are so very much like Brooklyn's! He is clearly in the right family!

I also had my first "boy" experience. While changing a poopy diaper, Grayson let loose all over his blanket and a little on my bed!


Friday March 11, 2011
Today we had Grayson's first doctor's appointment.  He did wonderfully and got a stellar report! Weight had increased too, just like I knew it would!

I can't believe today would have been the day he was born.  Amazing how things work out!

Saturday March 12, 2011
Today was all about the newborn photos. We hired an up and coming photographer who came to the house and took some adorable pictures of Grayson (at least, I think they'll be adorable. I mean, how could they not be??) We put a heater in the room while Grayson was naked so he would cooperate, and I am pleased to say that we all stayed dry! We also learned that there is a particular tone that Ray can hum that Grayson responds to. So while Candace snapped away with her camera, Ray stood nearby humming to keep him calm. I don't know how or why, but it worked!!

After lunch, Mom and Brooklyn went to get hair cuts so Grayson and I took a nap. It was a solid 3 hour nap and really felt wonderful! We were well rested by the time they got back!

Sunday March 13, 2011
Today (which is actually the day I am writing) was really a great day. Grayson had a good night, waking only twice for feedings/cuddles and even Brooklyn slept well past 9:00 this morning so we all got that extra bit of rest we've been needing. When we did get up, Ray made pancakes, and we all set about doing little things. I organized Grayson's clothes by size, Brooklyn helped Nana get her Snowmen put away and her Easter decorations out, and Ray ran errands. Then this evening we went to Cumberland for the CYT Vision Night. It was so much fun to be out and to see our friends. And I am so excited by the response that we got for CYT. I am praying now that those who came will tell all their friends about it and we will have an awesome summer camp, which will mean fall classes!! I'll have to do another blog some time about CYT and why I am such an advocate of theater and of this program. We also went by Scallini's to claim our prize for delivering within 48 hours of eating the eggplant! :0)

It really was a great day. It was a great first week. I do still feel a little pain, and I'm thrilled that I have 7 more weeks at home to recover. I'm looking forward to getting back on medifast, working out, and getting on with the rest of the year. Grayson's birth was the first "big event" that I was looking forward to. Coming up next, we have a visit to California for Jenna's showers, then a summer full of fun (CYT SUMMER CAMP!!) and then Jenna and Brett's wedding!! So much to look forward to and amazingly, even though he's only been here a week, it feels like Grayson has always been with us. He is already a very natural part of the family.

Comments

  1. $25.00 gift certificate and a t-shirt for Grayson! I think I mentioned it in the previous post which, due to the slightly more graphic nature, I did not advertise on facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9

In Which I Am Inspired

Two things really stand out to me at the end of this jam packed weekend.  First, my mom came into town to watch my kiddos while I attended a two day homeschool convention.  That act alone is not what inspires me, though I am so grateful for her willingness to help when I need her!  In the days leading up to the convention, she took us to the park to walk. We walked and rode bikes around Stoner and Overlook parks every day, sometimes twice! (we are all exhausted!)  When it comes to exercise, I have a million and one reasons not to do it. But walking around with my mom this last week I realized that it doesn't have to be complicated. I don't have to make any big commitments, or walk the track in a certain time frame, or wait for perfect weather conditions.  I just need to get out and move.  I DO need to remember to bring a first aid kit and to SHUT the doors of my car...but that's another set of issues all together. The second thing that inspired me was something I heard