Skip to main content

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes. 

My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9:30, or 10, if I want a little more time. They take advantage and play while I clean up the kitchen and get myself ready. 

My ten year old gets her assignments from the spiral notebook I filled out the night before. She will do a lot of her work independently and we will touch base in the afternoon on anything that needs my attention. We are blessed with a large playroom that also functions as our "official" school space. Here I work with my kindergartner on phonics, math, and handwriting. Sometimes the four year old joins us, but mostly she just plays. 

Lunch is a simple affair. If the weather is nice, we go play outside. When we come in, the ten year old finishes her work and I either help her or work on my own projects. The little ones play until Rest Time. Once every couple of days the younger two will actually fall asleep during nap, but mostly they just rest or read for an hour (or more if I can get away with it!). As long as they are quiet and on their bed, I really don't mind what happens. 

Our evenings fluctuate the most from day to day, but somehow between the hours of 4pm and 9pm we manage to fit in dinner, play, baths, tidy time, and my personal favorite: family read aloud time. Currently we're working through The Chronicles of Narnia. The kids color while my husband or I read. 

Sometimes it's crazy. It's not nearly as smooth as it sounds when I type it out and there are so many variations to this oh so basic template. But once it's in awhile it is every bit as idyllic as I dream it can be, and always, always worth it. 

Comments

  1. YES! Amen! Ideal and haphazardly-perfect! We LOVE Narnia here too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you shared your day with us! We like the Chronicles of Narnia series. Read aloud time is my favorite with my son. Love how you begin your day with spiritual time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

In Which I Am Inspired

Two things really stand out to me at the end of this jam packed weekend.  First, my mom came into town to watch my kiddos while I attended a two day homeschool convention.  That act alone is not what inspires me, though I am so grateful for her willingness to help when I need her!  In the days leading up to the convention, she took us to the park to walk. We walked and rode bikes around Stoner and Overlook parks every day, sometimes twice! (we are all exhausted!)  When it comes to exercise, I have a million and one reasons not to do it. But walking around with my mom this last week I realized that it doesn't have to be complicated. I don't have to make any big commitments, or walk the track in a certain time frame, or wait for perfect weather conditions.  I just need to get out and move.  I DO need to remember to bring a first aid kit and to SHUT the doors of my car...but that's another set of issues all together. The second thing that inspired me was something I heard