Skip to main content

In Which Pre-Planning Pays Off!

First, let me clarify. I genuinely enjoy homeschooling. The planning and organization can, yes, be a tad overwhelming. Nevertheless, they fall in the sweet spot of my wheelhouse.  I look ahead. It's what I do. In March 2014, I was already planning our whole 2015-2016 academic year.  It is January now, we are about half way through the year and my brain can't help but skip ahead to July and August when my little school will house a 5th grader, KINDERGARTNER, and a 4 year old. It's what I do. 

Before you write me off as crazy, I would like to point out that I don't hash out every detail. The farther away I am from an event, the broader my brush strokes. At the start of the year I catch the flavor, figure out our direction. In March-April-May I start making decisions and buying curriculum. By the time our academic year starts in July I have a pretty good birds eye view of what we're going to cover.  Since this is our second year of preschool (and next year will be our third!), much of the guess work is done. We are still learning the alphabet, numbers, etc, and we re-vist themes and books each year, we just approach them from a different angle.   

So I laugh and scold myself a little when it's July and I'm up until the wee hours of the dawn stressing about what we're going to do for Valentine's Day the next year. Then I remind myself that I have plenty of time, a lot can change in the next seven months, and it's time to go to bed.  All that to say, my summer planning stress paid off in a big way this week! 

We took a nice break for the holidays, so on one level I was really refreshed and ready to get going. But another side of me (the side that wishes everyday could be a stay-in-your-pajamas-and-don't-start-school-until-noon kind of day!) balked at the idea of getting back into routine. This resulted in procrastination which meant that Monday night arrived and I was 0% ready to start school Tuesday morning. Things really could have been chaos, but thanks to my ridiculously early planning sessions, I had enough ideas to cobble together our lessons.  I know a chaotic day is not the worst thing in the world and a couple of extra "non school" days certainly isn't going to hurt anyone - especially in preschool! But when it comes to things like routine and habit, I have a tendency to fall into the "well I guess we'll get to it tomorrow camp" and then before you know it the year is gone and all my great intentions and desires for our family are gone forever! (Can we say dramatic? I think so...). So the schedule is for me. A little structure to help my parenting stay intentional and the building blocks of good study habits for when the littles are big and the stakes really are higher.  

The moral of the story is, I will find my motivation to plan again. I won't stress out over every little detail down the road, but I also won't laugh at myself when it's snowing outside and I'm dreaming up lessons for springtime. Strike while the iron is hot and you'll get through the inevitable slumps without derailing the whole year!    

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Which We March On

March comes in a like a lion, what else? Still the snow, never melts! (If you're singing along to Seven Brides...you're right!) Where did that saying come from anyone? I get it. February was so mild, it felt more like spring than winter. Then just before spring actually arrives we get our only significant snow of the season! We had a great overnight snowfall, a real snow day, the kind where everything actually closes (my favorite!). Everything should have closed the next day too because of the winds and the drifts. Downright dangerous! But we made it through, alright. Aside from the weather, March was a whirlwind of activity. Grayson's sixth birthday, Jonah opened at Sight and Sound, Piercing Word/King's Kid's rehearsals, and Ray's birthday all kept me pretty busy. We have one more week to go during which we have Madi's birthday celebration for her preschool class (her birthday is in June - don't ask), Brooklyn's Broadway Studio showcase, our...

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9...

I'm Still 29 Until Monday, but...

...we had a really great day of celebration!  We started this morning with a girls only tea in celebration of Nana. Her birthday is the 16th, so we are quite accustomed to sharing our parties. Madi tore through a scone like there was no tomorrow and Brooklyn had so much fun dressing up with the hats and purses. It was a wonderful time and a delicious spread from Tea Leaves and Thyme! Birthday or not, I enjoy spending time with these people. The afternoon was spent mostly by myself. The adults were all out and about, doing their own things (Ray's "own thing" happened to be participating in a friend's flash mob marriage proposal at the Botanical Gardens!). Grayson and Madi took great naps. Brooklyn played. I worked on my meal plan/grocery lists for the April and even snuck in a 20 min yoga session!  We spent some time out in the beautiful (albeit yellowish green) spring weather, and then I went grocery shopping - by myself! Heaven!  Jenna brought my favorite Oli...