Skip to main content

In Which We Finish Our Second Week of Kindergarten

Week two has gone really well.  I feel like we're beginning to find a groove.  I've let go of some of my public school baggage. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I've loosed my grip on some of my public school baggage! By far the most important lesson I am learning is how to talk to Brooklyn after she's been at school all day.  A couple of questions about key things are plenty to get the conversation started, but too much peppering and the story gets lost in her fertile imagination.  What's also neat is the stories that come out through her play.  In watching her pretend to be the teacher I can see Mrs. Pope come to life in my living room! 


The day is still long and she is exhausted.  I spent this week getting into car line between 1:30 and 1:45. It's an hour wait for me (and Grayson), but it means she is among the first kids released, which she loves, and we're home by 2:30. I would love for dinner, clean up, bath, and bed time to not be marked by tears and tantrums.   


Even so, I think things are going well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Which We March On

March comes in a like a lion, what else? Still the snow, never melts! (If you're singing along to Seven Brides...you're right!) Where did that saying come from anyone? I get it. February was so mild, it felt more like spring than winter. Then just before spring actually arrives we get our only significant snow of the season! We had a great overnight snowfall, a real snow day, the kind where everything actually closes (my favorite!). Everything should have closed the next day too because of the winds and the drifts. Downright dangerous! But we made it through, alright. Aside from the weather, March was a whirlwind of activity. Grayson's sixth birthday, Jonah opened at Sight and Sound, Piercing Word/King's Kid's rehearsals, and Ray's birthday all kept me pretty busy. We have one more week to go during which we have Madi's birthday celebration for her preschool class (her birthday is in June - don't ask), Brooklyn's Broadway Studio showcase, our...

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9...

I'm Still 29 Until Monday, but...

...we had a really great day of celebration!  We started this morning with a girls only tea in celebration of Nana. Her birthday is the 16th, so we are quite accustomed to sharing our parties. Madi tore through a scone like there was no tomorrow and Brooklyn had so much fun dressing up with the hats and purses. It was a wonderful time and a delicious spread from Tea Leaves and Thyme! Birthday or not, I enjoy spending time with these people. The afternoon was spent mostly by myself. The adults were all out and about, doing their own things (Ray's "own thing" happened to be participating in a friend's flash mob marriage proposal at the Botanical Gardens!). Grayson and Madi took great naps. Brooklyn played. I worked on my meal plan/grocery lists for the April and even snuck in a 20 min yoga session!  We spent some time out in the beautiful (albeit yellowish green) spring weather, and then I went grocery shopping - by myself! Heaven!  Jenna brought my favorite Oli...