Skip to main content

In Which Meat Starts with Milk.

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it...I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.  So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. (1 Corinthians 3:2, 6-7, NIV)


I hope I am not taking this completely out of context, but in these verses I see a beautiful order from God and a real life picture He gives us to help us understand.  I think this will all makes sense if I just keep typing!


One of my favorite qualities of God and of the Word He has given us, is the almost contradictory nature of its simplicity and depth.  The stories and in fact the whole message of the Bible boils down so simply that a young child can understand it.  Yet the mysteries of the Truth is never fully understood even by those who devote their entire lives to study.  The more we spend time with the Word, the more He draws us in to deeper understandings of His wisdom and plan. 
We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature...we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. ...but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. (1 Corinthians 2:6-7 & 10, NIV)
The illustration of this is how as infants we start with milk and as we grow and mature, our nutritional needs and palate become increasingly more complex.  As I feed Grayson his simple rice cereal (praying that he will someday move beyond the "chicken nuggets and cheese" phase his sister is stuck in!) I am reminded that as our bodies and tastes mature, we never outgrow the need for nourishment.  What astounds and delights me, is how God allows me to dish out spiritual milk and uses those opportunities to give me meat.  I think I could go deeper with this metaphor (and perhaps someday I will), but it's getting late and my brain is not functioning as well as I need it to.      


One specific example is when I write the dramas for VBX. We look for simple ways to make the stories relate-able.  And for the young, young kids, it really is about boiling it down to it's simplest form.  The story of Noah is about faith.  The story of Jonah is about obedience.  God made me. God loves me. God wants to be my friend.  But the application of these simple truths in my life are so far reaching that I am always humbled and moved to worship.  


We are to approach God with the faith of a child. But I praise Him because it does not end there.  Just as a child's tastes grow as he does, so God continues to bring us into a deeper, more beautiful knowledge of who He is and what He plans for us. But always, meat starts as milk.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9

Dear Grayson,

As I write this, you are about 18" long and 3.2 lbs. About the size of a head of lettuce.  We have approximately 8 weeks and 5 days to go before your scheduled debut.  But here's the fun of it. Daddy and I are planning a C-section, which is traditionally scheduled about a week before the due date. That makes the countdown 7 weeks.  Now we are also dealing with some blood pressure issues, and the doctors are just hoping to get us as far along as we can. The family is starting to take bets on when you will be born. Here is what's going on... Mommy's blood pressure is high.  It's staying around 140/80.  Since the first of the year, the doctors have had me on modified bed rest, meaning that I could get up and do a little around the house, but need to take it easy.  No going to work or hard partying ;0) It really hasn't been so bad. The first week I was able to do some work from home, which kept me busy.  Then last week Atlanta had a tremendous winter storm and

In Which I Am Inspired

Two things really stand out to me at the end of this jam packed weekend.  First, my mom came into town to watch my kiddos while I attended a two day homeschool convention.  That act alone is not what inspires me, though I am so grateful for her willingness to help when I need her!  In the days leading up to the convention, she took us to the park to walk. We walked and rode bikes around Stoner and Overlook parks every day, sometimes twice! (we are all exhausted!)  When it comes to exercise, I have a million and one reasons not to do it. But walking around with my mom this last week I realized that it doesn't have to be complicated. I don't have to make any big commitments, or walk the track in a certain time frame, or wait for perfect weather conditions.  I just need to get out and move.  I DO need to remember to bring a first aid kit and to SHUT the doors of my car...but that's another set of issues all together. The second thing that inspired me was something I heard