Skip to main content

In Which I Am An Artist

Art in worship is as natural to me as a seashell on the beach.  Worship may not always be art, but art is always worship because art is about truth and beauty and God is Truth and Beauty.  I love simply participating...watching and listening and letting the song or drama, or dance (etc) speak . As a participant, I have the freedom to give in to the emotions stirred in the moment.  I sit back and let it all wash over me.  


When it comes to creating, I love writing, directing, and producing.  I have something to say, questions to ask, and truth to grapple with.  The page and the stage are the mediums I like to say it with.  It is a cerebral exercise that challenges me to pursue new view points and sharpen my skills.  In fact, coordinating the VBX dramas is the highlight of my whole year.  I think I get more out of it than anyone else as I sift through the scripture searching for the best way to tell the stories.   


Performing is a completely different experience all together.  Performing taps into my heart, revealing all my vulnerability and insecurity.  I am confronted on an emotional level and challenged to connect with the story in a completely different way.


Both "behind the scenes" and "performing" are potent expressions of worship for me.  I liken it to the difference between a gift that is bought and a gift that is homemade.  Both are thoughtful and given out of love.  Only the cost is a little different.        

Comments