Skip to main content

In Which Ideals Are Sought

I'm so thankful for Cornerstone. I have such lofty ideals, about how I want to rise early, homeschool my kids, bake my own bread, raise chickens, garden, and write the next great American novel which I will then adapt to stage and screen.

Ha!!

My reality is much different! I have allergies and live in the suburbs, so the chickens and garden are out.  I'm still working on getting dinner out on time every day, and as for writing? I can barely finish a blog these days let alone a novel!

But the desire of my heart is to do my best with what God has given me, particularly when it comes to my children. In Cornerstone I find a comfortable meeting place for my ideals and my reality.

I love that I have room to be a parent. I can expand projects, take field trips, apply character building truths to Brooklyn's education. But if I get caught up with the babies, I can stick to the lesson plan and know she is still getting an exemplary education.

I love the accountability provided by the school. I have every confidence that as my children grow and as I grow, I will be able to take on more of the planning and will get better at the whole school year rhythm. but right now I still need the deadlines given to me. We didn't do school on Friday, and if it weren't for the knowledge that she's got assignments due on Tuesday, I don't know if we would have gotten to it today either!

I love that we are learning together. I have discovered a whole new level of humility as a teacher, not to mention things long forgotten like vowel teams and fact families. Education is about so much mode than academics. It's about knowing our Creator.

I'm so thankful we are on this journey to ideal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Which We March On

March comes in a like a lion, what else? Still the snow, never melts! (If you're singing along to Seven Brides...you're right!) Where did that saying come from anyone? I get it. February was so mild, it felt more like spring than winter. Then just before spring actually arrives we get our only significant snow of the season! We had a great overnight snowfall, a real snow day, the kind where everything actually closes (my favorite!). Everything should have closed the next day too because of the winds and the drifts. Downright dangerous! But we made it through, alright. Aside from the weather, March was a whirlwind of activity. Grayson's sixth birthday, Jonah opened at Sight and Sound, Piercing Word/King's Kid's rehearsals, and Ray's birthday all kept me pretty busy. We have one more week to go during which we have Madi's birthday celebration for her preschool class (her birthday is in June - don't ask), Brooklyn's Broadway Studio showcase, our...

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9...

I'm Still 29 Until Monday, but...

...we had a really great day of celebration!  We started this morning with a girls only tea in celebration of Nana. Her birthday is the 16th, so we are quite accustomed to sharing our parties. Madi tore through a scone like there was no tomorrow and Brooklyn had so much fun dressing up with the hats and purses. It was a wonderful time and a delicious spread from Tea Leaves and Thyme! Birthday or not, I enjoy spending time with these people. The afternoon was spent mostly by myself. The adults were all out and about, doing their own things (Ray's "own thing" happened to be participating in a friend's flash mob marriage proposal at the Botanical Gardens!). Grayson and Madi took great naps. Brooklyn played. I worked on my meal plan/grocery lists for the April and even snuck in a 20 min yoga session!  We spent some time out in the beautiful (albeit yellowish green) spring weather, and then I went grocery shopping - by myself! Heaven!  Jenna brought my favorite Oli...