Skip to main content

In Which Time is Confusing

I find myself in a strange place where time is both flying by faster than I can handle yet also moving tremendously slow.  It has everything to do with the anticipation of Madi. 


One part of me (probably the part that is nine months pregnant and physically tired of being - literally - heavy with child) is absolutely ready for her to come right this minute. This part of me is ready to meet her, to see her face, and to start working out the life of three kids. For this me, June 22nd seems so far away!


The other, more practical, less emotional side of me is excited about June 22nd and does not want dear Miss Madi to come one second earlier than we have planned because there is still so much going on and things to do before her grand arrival! For example, next week (the first week of June) Brooklyn has CYT camp, which I do not want to miss, and Grayson is going to Gymboree class. Then Mom and Dad take Grandma's stuff up to Indiana. We have doctor's appointments and play dates, Father's Day, one last date night (??), not to mention we are still in process of setting up the living room and basement as school/play rooms. Thankfully the last piece of the nursery puzzle is her clothes, and that shouldn't be too difficult, even if she does end up coming early. 


So my feelings are constantly at odds with themselves. Part of me urging the days to go by quickly while the other begs them to slow down. One part anxiously and busily working to complete tasks, the other looking for moments to sit and rest and enjoy these last few "2 children" days. 


Thankfully it is summer and our busy lives have slowed down to a much more relaxed pace. Everything will get done as it needs to. Whether she comes today or June 22nd, her timing will be thoroughly enjoyed by all who experience it with us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Which We March On

March comes in a like a lion, what else? Still the snow, never melts! (If you're singing along to Seven Brides...you're right!) Where did that saying come from anyone? I get it. February was so mild, it felt more like spring than winter. Then just before spring actually arrives we get our only significant snow of the season! We had a great overnight snowfall, a real snow day, the kind where everything actually closes (my favorite!). Everything should have closed the next day too because of the winds and the drifts. Downright dangerous! But we made it through, alright. Aside from the weather, March was a whirlwind of activity. Grayson's sixth birthday, Jonah opened at Sight and Sound, Piercing Word/King's Kid's rehearsals, and Ray's birthday all kept me pretty busy. We have one more week to go during which we have Madi's birthday celebration for her preschool class (her birthday is in June - don't ask), Brooklyn's Broadway Studio showcase, our...

A Day in Jaime's Homeschool (ages 10, 6, and 4)

Our days in this season of life follow a very relaxed structure. Each day has such very different demands. While I would prefer to go with the flow, whatever that may be, my kids prefer a more defined plan. They like to know what to expect at any given moment. So our daily rhythm falls somewhere between these two extremes.  My day starts between 6:30 and 7:00 AM with coffee and my Bible. I love connecting through Hello Mornings because of its grace based approach to starting my day in submission to the Lord. Through accountability, community, and Bible study I get that flexible structure I need - a big theme in my life right now! My "early riser" (the four year old) will often join me on the couch while I read. My husband makes breakfast while I enjoy a second cup of coffee and supervise morning chores. By 9 AM he is out the door to work (except when he's not...because that would be too easy.) At this point I give my kids a warning that we will start our school day at 9...

I'm Still 29 Until Monday, but...

...we had a really great day of celebration!  We started this morning with a girls only tea in celebration of Nana. Her birthday is the 16th, so we are quite accustomed to sharing our parties. Madi tore through a scone like there was no tomorrow and Brooklyn had so much fun dressing up with the hats and purses. It was a wonderful time and a delicious spread from Tea Leaves and Thyme! Birthday or not, I enjoy spending time with these people. The afternoon was spent mostly by myself. The adults were all out and about, doing their own things (Ray's "own thing" happened to be participating in a friend's flash mob marriage proposal at the Botanical Gardens!). Grayson and Madi took great naps. Brooklyn played. I worked on my meal plan/grocery lists for the April and even snuck in a 20 min yoga session!  We spent some time out in the beautiful (albeit yellowish green) spring weather, and then I went grocery shopping - by myself! Heaven!  Jenna brought my favorite Oli...